Fire has destroyed a home at Caves Beach overnight.

Fire & Rescue and RFS crews were called to the two storey brick and tile home on The Esplanade at about 12.15am on Wednesday to find the property engulfed in flames.

Police say four adults safely evacuated the home without injury.

More than 30 firefighters took about 45 minutes to bring the blaze under control – crews from Lambton have remained at the scene mopping up hot spots.

Police say an electric charging unit is the likely cause of the blaze.

Newcastle Fire Command say the fire appears to have started in the garage and, although the exact cause is yet to be determined, it’s believed the presence of a lithium ion battery in the garage may have added to the intensity of the fire.

Fire investigators will examine the scene later on Wednesday morning.   

Crews arrived to find the house engulfed in flames Picture; Swansea Fire & Rescue