BY IAN CROUCH

A man has escaped injury after his shed went up in flames at Mayfield early Wednesday morning.

Police say he was working on a motorised scooter with power tools at the Sharpe Street residence just after midnight when a spark ignited fuel.

Newcastle Fire Command says they received 11 triple zero calls, with crews from Mayfield, Carrington and Lambton arriving to find the tin shed engulfed in flames.

They took about an hour to extinguish and mop up the fire.

The man was not injured, however the scooter and other shed contents were destroyed.